Problem with Copy/ Paste and Entering Text in Documents

A place to share what you like about the app, what you don't like, campaigns you're working on, ask for help or share tips and tricks with other users.
elchtod
Minion

Problem with Copy/ Paste and Entering Text in Documents

Postby elchtod » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:51 am

Hey,

first off, thank you for this application. I find it very useful and it combines essential features in a nice way.

Now I have two things that I hope someone can provide some help or insight into.
First off I´m using the app on a Samsung Galaxy Pro Note 12.

1. How do I copy/ paste text when entering something in the document view? There is no cursor in the document text box and press and hold does not bring up the copy/ paste option of Android.

2. When I start writing/ typing there appears a white box above the Infinitas surfece that displays the written text in white (so it is only readable when you higlight the text). Also, while entering text, this box gets bigger, moving upwards with each line written and it blocks out the screen/ Infinitas surface. There are two problems linked to this. First: white text on white background. Second: At some point the whole screen ist blocked out by this textbox, and I´m not able to return to the Infinitas surface. Only when touching outside of the textbox does it vanish and I return to the Infinitas surface. The amount of text that i can enter in this way is too small for my tastes. Apart from the problem, that I can´t see the text I´m entering. This is also the case when I use copy/ paste as in this overlay textbox it is possible. But with too much text, I can´t return to the Infinitas surface.

Is this a feature or a bug?

Thank you for your help.
AtomSwitch
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Copy/ Paste and Entering Text in Documents

Postby AtomSwitch » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:25 pm

Copy and paste should work as usual on Android devices and text should not be solid white, so this would be a bug not an intentional part of the app's operation.

I notice that you said you're running from a Galaxy device. This is now the 4th or 5th problem users have had specific to galaxy devices. Another user had the same white-text error, and a few others have had issues with inaccurate touch and long-press gestures not consistently working (which may be why paste isn't working for you).

Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=66

My current theory is that something in the Samsung Galaxy line's TouchWiz UI is overriding default Android behaviors, causing these issues. The only Galaxy device I have access to is a Galaxy Nexus, which don't have the TouchWiz UI overlay, so unfortunately I can't personally test removing it to see if it is the culprit.

Hopefully I'll either be able to get my hands on a TouchWiz using galaxy device, or we will be able to find someone comfortable with switching their launcher or otherwise disabling TouchWiz so we can sort this issue out once and for all.
elchtod
Minion

Postby elchtod » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:31 pm

Thank you for your fast response.

I installed the app on a Samsung Galaxy s5 SM-g900F android Version 5.

Here it looks like this.

On a map I can place all the icons and tokens from the drawer, but am unable to place marker like npc, location, encounter... the hold finger gesture does not open the marker option menu.
Furtermore I can´t enter text in any way in a document. I can create and modify documents (rename, delete...) but not write in them.

When crating a document I get the menu where one writes the name of the document, here I can see the text against the white background, and it provides me with an "okay" button to the right side, that when hit brings me back to the infinitas surface. This is missing in the Galaxy Note 12 Pro.

I hope that this problem can be solved. Unfortunately I´m not an expert in device configuration. so to tinker with any of the software settings is not an option for me at this time.

So I hope anyone proficient with the soft- and hardware of Samsung devices comes up with a solution.

greetings.
AtomSwitch
Site Admin

Postby AtomSwitch » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:56 pm

These are definitely some atypical problems you're having that seem to be specific to Galaxy devices.

Do you have a non-Samsung Galaxy device that you can try using the app on?

I'll continue to seek out a Galaxy device that I can get my hands on and experiment with any Galaxy-specific settings that might be causing this. Once I can confirm or deny what part of the Galaxy's software overlay is causing these issues I can try to get in contact with Samsung for help finding a solution.
elchtod
Minion

Postby elchtod » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:22 am

I gave the whole thing another run through and found out a work around for the Pro Note 12.

On my Samsung Galaxy S5 when entering text, there appears an "okay" button that does not show on the Pro Note 12. But I found it is there. Like the text it seems to take on the colour of white, so it can´t be seen against the white background. But I simply touched the screen up and down the right side and the text window finally disappeard and I was back to the Infinitas surface. So the button is there, just not visible.

White text on white background can be circumvented with using another text programm. Not top notch but at least for the moment a workable solution with copy/ paste.

Still on the Galaxy S5 no way to enter text in a document, the "enter text" prompt is not even showing. Nor can I place markers (npc, encounter...).

Unfortunatelly I don´t have access to another Galaxy device.

So hoping for some news from your or some one else.
AtomSwitch
Site Admin

Postby AtomSwitch » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks for sharing your work around elchtod!

Could you please document these bugs with some screenshots from your device(s)? It would be a huge help to have them while trying to figure out this issue. Namely, what it looks like when you're entering text, what it looks lie where you are unable to see the okay button, and anywhere else things are going strangely.
BralorVhette
Minion

Postby BralorVhette » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:31 pm

Any news on this? I am using a galaxy tab e and a galaxy s8 and also cannot add text to a document, only the titles of documents.
AtomSwitch
Site Admin

Postby AtomSwitch » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Unfortunately, aside from being a strange UI / color switching issue that seems to only effect certain Samsung Galaxy devices, I was never able to get to the root case of the issue. For some reason certain Galaxy devices have a really hard time with the app in general. I've tried reaching out to Samsung for help, but have yet to receive a response from them.

Do you have the latest version of the app installed on both of your devices? The last update for InfinitasDM on Android was moved to the most recent-compatible Android APK and that solved a lot of these weird issues.
BralorVhette
Minion

Postby BralorVhette » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:42 pm

As far as I know i do have the latest version, i only check Google play though, if another version was released outside of that than I missed it.
Through frustrated incessant tapping I found the hidden prompt and am able to consistently add the body text for documents.