[BUG] IDM on iPad: Losing connection to ChromeCast & Sound lowered on open

A place to share what you like about the app, what you don't like, campaigns you're working on, ask for help or share tips and tricks with other users.
schemen
Minion

[BUG] IDM on iPad: Losing connection to ChromeCast & Sound lowered on open

Postby schemen » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Heya!
I got IDM on my Ipad and I love the premise, I can closely move my entire in-session workload to my tablet with dndbeyond, spotify for music, some pdfs and IDM for the in-person VTT.

I got two issues at the moment:
1) When opening IDM while music is running (i.e. spotify), the volume of the music is lowered. Looking around at developer forums this seems to be a setting the developer can set for his app - it would be great you would disable that so the background music doesn't get a hit when changing something on the map

2) IDM seems to loose the connection to ChromeCast when the app is left in the background for about 1 minute which is really unhandy - any idea why?

Other than that, I love it - it works really great with the apple pencil!
How is the current status of support/development?

Regarding 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/com ... _app_from/ may help
AtomSwitch
Site Admin

Re: [BUG] IDM on iPad: Losing connection to ChromeCast & Sound lowered on open

Postby AtomSwitch » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Hi schemen, thanks for your support of IDM, I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!

I was not aware of the volume reduction issue. I'll have to look into it and see what can be done about it, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Unfortunately, the connection loss is an iOS issue. iOS is *very* aggressive about terminating background processes. I've not had much look trying to force it to remain a 'priority' process when pushed to the background, for some reason it doesn't see chromecast streaming as a valid reason to remain 'active.' So sadly, this may not be a fixable issue unless Apple relaxes the way it manages memory on iOS devices.

Development status is currently in a bit of hibernation. The original programmer chose to step down after the first few updates were completed as he felt he no longer had sufficient time to dedicate to the project. I've been looking for a replacement but have yet to find someone qualified and available within my extremely tight budget. In the mean time, I've been working on some design-side improvements but until I can afford to expand my budget, new features will remain on hold for a bit longer.
schemen
Minion

Postby schemen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:28 am

AtomSwitch wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:47 pm
Hi schemen, thanks for your support of IDM, I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!

I was not aware of the volume reduction issue. I'll have to look into it and see what can be done about it, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Unfortunately, the connection loss is an iOS issue. iOS is *very* aggressive about terminating background processes. I've not had much look trying to force it to remain a 'priority' process when pushed to the background, for some reason it doesn't see chromecast streaming as a valid reason to remain 'active.' So sadly, this may not be a fixable issue unless Apple relaxes the way it manages memory on iOS devices.

Development status is currently in a bit of hibernation. The original programmer chose to step down after the first few updates were completed as he felt he no longer had sufficient time to dedicate to the project. I've been looking for a replacement but have yet to find someone qualified and available within my extremely tight budget. In the mean time, I've been working on some design-side improvements but until I can afford to expand my budget, new features will remain on hold for a bit longer.
Thanks! The Volume management was a bit weird :)

Regarding the ChromeCast thing, this doesn't happen with a Android tablet? Do you have any experience here?
The key issue here is that I need to "re-open" IDM from time to time which is kinda distracting, sadly.

I am an open source guy, but I guess open sourcing it would not be of interest :D Any way this can be supported?
AtomSwitch
Site Admin

Postby AtomSwitch » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:21 pm

With android - I was going to say no, it doesn't happen on android, but it looks like in more recent versions of the OS (7.0+), it does now happen. I went to boot up an older device running Android 6.x that it DID stay connected on when running in the background, but unfortunately the battery seems to have finally gone out on it so I can't boot it to confirm.

As another warning, some devices running Android 9.0 have just recently started crashing when connecting to Chromecast, which I am also investigating.

The Chromecast API is surprisingly poorly supported by Google, especially for Unity (the engine the app was built on), so it has been taking quite a bit of digging to figure out what they changed that is causing the issue on some (but not all) 9.0+ devices.

The best thing you can do to support feature updates is to spread the word about the app. Getting sales to a point where they can actively fund development (all dev up to now has been funded either by the original Kickstarter, or with my own personal funds) will be tough with such a niche product, but word of mouth is the most powerful way to expand the userbase, which in turn expands my development options.