[BUG] Issue with large map file & Fog

A place to share what you like about the app, what you don't like, campaigns you're working on, ask for help or share tips and tricks with other users.
Thee Chuck
Minion

[BUG] Issue with large map file & Fog

Post by Thee Chuck » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:56 pm

Is there a maximum map size?
I am running into an issue where the Fog function only draws on the lower left corner of the map. The image I'm working with is 2010 x 1290 pixels and I have to zoom pretty far in for the scale to match up because it is an overland map for a the Strahd campaign.
I have tried both PNG and JPG file format and the issue remains the same.
I have a work around in mind to chunk up that map but in the long run this should be remedied.

AtomSwitch
Site Admin

Re: [BUG] Issue with large map file & Fog

Post by AtomSwitch » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:30 pm

Technically, there isn't a maximum map size, but the ability to import a large map without crashing will be limited by your device's RAM. A safe bet is using a maximum of around 4,000x4,000 pixels for "very large" maps. Though I have successfully imported maps significantly larger as tests on the Windows platform, they are not likely to run well on many mobile devices.

I'm not aware of a bug like this for Fog of War, but it's possible that although the pixel dimensions of the map are acceptable, the actual scale of the map's drawing is too small for those dimensions. Try increasing the map size to 4,000x3,280 and see if anything changes when you don't have to zoom in quite so far during the Scale Map stage.

If you could list your platform, general device specs (or make and model if a mobile device), screen resolution and app resolution (if running on Windows or Mac), and any other details you can think of that may help us narrow down the list of variables, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thee Chuck
Minion

Post by Thee Chuck » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:20 pm

I will try making the map image bigger, I didn't consider that.
Windows 10 PC, brand new laptop.

Tipster
Minion

Post by Tipster » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:41 pm

I get a black screen when I attempt to import a file that is too large (seems that any maps over 10mb give me this black screen, but I'll retest to confirm that).

AtomSwitch
Site Admin

Post by AtomSwitch » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:11 am

What are the pixel dimensions of these maps? A 10mb jpg would be a pretty huge image, so it may be too large for your device RAM to manage.

Tipster
Minion

Post by Tipster » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:04 pm

Hey, sorry for the slow reply. Just getting back into the app after a month long break for my group. The original images were 8756x11112. It wasn't a huge surprise to me that they didn't load, so I just did some resizing and they worked great. :)

AtomSwitch
Site Admin

Post by AtomSwitch » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:12 pm

Awesome! Yeah, an 8.7k x 11k image is pretty massive. I'm glad you were able to get everything working!