Working for my group!

A place to share what you like about the app, what you don't like, campaigns you're working on, ask for help or share tips and tricks with other users.
Coreyartus
Minion

Working for my group!

Postby Coreyartus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:48 pm

Just wanted to put a note out there to say thanks and let you know that the app is working great for my group and my DMing needs!

I use it through Steam on my MacbookPro, take my own TV to my friend's house and lay it out flat, then hook it up to AppleTV. We've been playing D&D in person for a couple years now, and I used to spend a small fortune on printed maps. No longer. We've been using InfinitasDM for a very long while now, and I can't tell you how much money it has saved me in the long run, nor how much we love the Fog of War feature (a little soft around the edges for my tastes, but meh, it works!) We don't use your tokens and instead use our own on the TV surface, but I have used the drawing tools and they're very handy!!

I especially love that I can upload whatever jpg I want to splay across the screen--I've been able to upload monster imagery and player handouts so everyone can see all at once what they're up against and read things without having to pass things around. This was the interface I was looking for when I wanted to start using digital maps. I didn't want to use two computer screens and turn our gaming sessions into technological nightmares of set up--I originally used this on my iPhone, it was that simple. I'm beyond happy with what you've put together, and I hope it sticks around for a very long time. It has become a necessary and indelible part of our gaming experience, and I'd be hard pressed to replace it.

I can't thank you enough for adding yet another level of categorization for file management--having 4 layers instead of 3 made a huge difference in how I prep my stuff each week. I know that happened a long time ago, but I'm just now getting around to posting...

The only thing I would love is the capacity to import imagery into a layer over the top of the imagery already there, or be able to split the screen. I know that completely mangles the interface, but being able to see a pic of a monster in the corner of the screen could be really handy sometimes.

I'm not sure, ultimately, whether I'm using your app the way you intended, but I have to say it is exactly what I needed regardless of its full capabilities. I can scroll through multiple desktops on my Macbook, using one for Infinitas DM and others for other programs or browsers (using it in conjunction with D&D Beyond, Kobold Fight Club, and a dice roller has literally Rocked. My. World.). I'm able to load pretty large images (in jpg only not jpeg--that makes a difference for some reason), and that means the quality of the picture for my players is just that much better when I zoom in (it's so cinematic when I do that--they love it!!). I don't have to use the tokens and the players feel more involved (thank-you for fixing the map-resizing issue when opening a different image--that one change saved us so much time re-positioning everything!!).

We haven't played your downloadable adventures, but I appreciate that you've taken the time to create them. They're visually stunning!!! Someday!!! :)

Thanks again for making this. My pocketbook, myself, and my group are very very happy. Weirdly, the quality of life has improved since I don't have to struggle so hard to prep--making analog out of digital was very time consuming... Thanks so much!!
AtomSwitch
Site Admin

Re: Working for my group!

Postby AtomSwitch » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:15 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to write out this message Coreyartus. Hearing stories like this make all of the hard work and sacrifice it took to get IDM made worth it 10x over. I know there's still a lot of room for improvement with IDM but it is so awesome to hear how much it has helped improve the gaming experience for DM/GM's and their players.

A lot of users have asked for a better means of displaying a "flavor image" type pop-up without having to load up a separate map that holds that image (which is what I've been doing - like for the detail shot of the statues from the Adventurer's Kit). It's definitely something I'd like to find a good way to add (ideally without complicating the UI any more), but for the time being one thing you can do is add that image as a custom token, then place that token on the map. That way you can drop it, remove it, scale it between 1x, 2x, and 4x size, and move it around to stay in view of the players.

It's not the perfect solution, but it is a little more flexible than loading the image as a separate "map." Custom tokens (and Stamps) are new-ish features to the app, for more information on them check out the last page in the updated instruction manual:

http://infinitasdm.com/IDM_InstructionManual.pdf

I've actually never noticed that it regards .jpg differently than .jpeg - thanks for pointing that out! I'll have to look into that and see if it's a mac platform thing, or if I just haven't happened to run across it on the other platforms and try to figure out what's up with it.

If I could ask one thing of you, it would be amazing if you could post a review on Steam for IDM (your above post would be amazing) if you haven't already. Positive reviews make a HUGE impact on sales and those sales go straight back into supporting the app. :)

Return to “InfinitasDM Discussion”