General Suggestions

A place to suggest additional features for future releases of InfinitasDM.
mensa
Minion

General Suggestions

Post by mensa » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:29 pm

So I finally got around to having a game session using Infinitas, and the casting with fog of war f*ing rocks! Everyone enjoyed watching the map fill in as they moved around. And it saves a bunch of time drawing the map out on the table. I'm going to continue using it for my games.

However, I had some issues...See the attached photos for reference.

When building the map, I just dug out an old map jpeg, which had labels on it, and used gimp to edit out the labels. It would have been nice to be able to save those labels/secret things, and import them as a separate layer into Infinitas so that I don't have to go add them all back by hand. Of course, If I just created the map in the app in the first place that wouldn't be an issue.

Getting the zoom just right was difficult. I want to be able to get the squares to be as close to 1 inch as possible on the table, but it is very hard to adjust things just right.

More than once I tried moving the map only to accidentally add a marker. It would be nice if there was a lock button or something like that to prevent edits to the map.

More than once I forgot I was in erase fog mode and accidentally erased a bunch of fog when trying to move the map, and vice versa. That is user error, but it would be nice to have an undo button.

A laser pointer feature would be good so I don't have to stand up and point.

The screen lock came on time and time again... it would be nice if the app disable the screen lock while casting.

The app crashed once during play... it was after turning my phone back on yet again, but it took some time getting the map in the right place and zoomed back in... it would be nice if the app saved the location and zoom so it could resume it when restarting.

My phone is pretty good, battery-wise, but this app seemed to drain it rather quickly. Once all the other features I want are implemented, perhaps tackle that issue. :)

Thanks for a great tool.
Attachments
table2.jpg
table2.jpg (336.81 KiB) Viewed 3486 times
table1.jpg
table1.jpg (299.23 KiB) Viewed 3486 times

AtomSwitch
Site Admin

Re: General Suggestions

Post by AtomSwitch » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:00 pm

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, as well as your enviable playing setup!

I'll do my best to respond to your feedback here.

When building the map, I just dug out an old map jpeg, which had labels on it, and used gimp to edit out the labels. It would have been nice to be able to save those labels/secret things, and import them as a separate layer into Infinitas so that I don't have to go add them all back by hand. Of course, If I just created the map in the app in the first place that wouldn't be an issue.
This is an interesting idea, though it would add a bit of complexity to map import and layer sorting. One thing you can do is import the map with all of the markup on it, and use that as a guide to fill all that into Map Links and Documents, then long-press on the map name in the Atlas and "clear map." Then, take an edited version of the map image with those notes removed, and assign that. You should now have the new map image with all of your links and documents still in place.

Getting the zoom just right was difficult. I want to be able to get the squares to be as close to 1 inch as possible on the table, but it is very hard to adjust things just right.
This is going to be a tricky one. In addition to the varying pixel density of potential Player's View displays they'll be stretching that PPI across different screen sizes. I'm not sure what my options are for an "actual size" type configuration to zoom to a 1" grid size equivalent across displays, but I'll look into it and see what I can find.

More than once I tried moving the map only to accidentally add a marker. It would be nice if there was a lock button or something like that to prevent edits to the map.
One thing we'll definitely need to add when we can is a 'cancel' function for the Map Link dialog. A lock button is an interesting idea, though I'd have to be careful to make it accessible without being easy to accidentally trigger, as that could be quite frustrating as well. Either way, it's something that can go on 'the list' for potential future features.

More than once I forgot I was in erase fog mode and accidentally erased a bunch of fog when trying to move the map, and vice versa. That is user error, but it would be nice to have an undo button.
An undo button is something I'd love to add when I can, though like the lock button suggestion it'd also be important to find a way to make it accessible without being easily miss-triggered.

A laser pointer feature would be good so I don't have to stand up and point.
I'm hesitant to give up valuable screen real estate for additional toolbar items, but one thing you could do for now is use a token as a pointer. Pull one out, slide it around as a pointing device, then dump it into the trash when you're done. I can see the value of this for large screens and situations where the screens aren't mounted in front of the players though, so I will definitely give it some more thought when I am able to start looking at adding more features.

The screen lock came on time and time again... it would be nice if the app disable the screen lock while casting.
This is a pretty easy fix that I hadn't considered previously (I'm pretty handsy with the device when I use it, so it rarely turns off on me). I'll try to get this into one of the coming build updates.

The app crashed once during play... it was after turning my phone back on yet again, but it took some time getting the map in the right place and zoomed back in... it would be nice if the app saved the location and zoom so it could resume it when restarting.
I'm not sure what my options are for this, the way the map view is designed in conjunction with how save files operate, but I'll look into it when I have the chance.

My phone is pretty good, battery-wise, but this app seemed to drain it rather quickly. Once all the other features I want are implemented, perhaps tackle that issue
Thankfully, IDM doesn't use any additional sensors (like GPS, Accelerator, etc), but like any app that has constant screen on time and wifi data streaming it will definitely lean hard on your battery for long play sessions. Turning down your device's screen brightness will help, but playing while hooked up to a charger, or playing from a device designed for long hours of screen on (like a tablet) are going to be the most effective options for extended gaming.

Backer 1349
Minion

Post by Backer 1349 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Regarding the zoom issue, maybe it would be possible for you to have an interactive "fit to screen" option? If you ask for the physical display size (e.g. "47 inches") and the resolution (e.g. 1920x1080) you should be able to do the geometry to figure out the zoom factor.

If I have a 47" TV at 1920x1080, then the resolution tells us it's a 16:9 display, so angle A = 29.36˚ and angle B = 60.64˚ (a 4:3 display would be A=36.87˚ and B=53.13˚, and a 16:10 display would be A=32.01˚ and B=57.99˚).

sin(29.36˚) = 0.4903
sin(60.64˚) = 0.8716

0.4903 x 47" = 23.0441" high
0.8716 x 47" = 40.9652" wide

This means that for 1" squares, we should have just over 23 squares vertical, by just shy of 41 squares horizontal.
1080 / 23.0441 = 46.8667 pixels per square vertically
1920 / 40.9652 = 46.8691 pixels per square horizontally
So if the grid is rendered at 47 pixels per square, they'll be barely over one inch square, with the difference not being noticeable to anyone without OCD and/or calipers :)

... and people say geometry class was useless. hah.

ORIONOX
NPC

Post by ORIONOX » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:17 pm

Backer 1349 wrote:Regarding the zoom issue, maybe it would be possible for you to have an interactive "fit to screen" option? If you ask for the physical display size (e.g. "47 inches") and the resolution (e.g. 1920x1080) you should be able to do the geometry to figure out the zoom factor.

If I have a 47" TV at 1920x1080, then the resolution tells us it's a 16:9 display, so angle A = 29.36˚ and angle B = 60.64˚ (a 4:3 display would be A=36.87˚ and B=53.13˚, and a 16:10 display would be A=32.01˚ and B=57.99˚).

sin(29.36˚) = 0.4903
sin(60.64˚) = 0.8716

0.4903 x 47" = 23.0441" high
0.8716 x 47" = 40.9652" wide

This means that for 1" squares, we should have just over 23 squares vertical, by just shy of 41 squares horizontal.
1080 / 23.0441 = 46.8667 pixels per square vertically
1920 / 40.9652 = 46.8691 pixels per square horizontally
So if the grid is rendered at 47 pixels per square, they'll be barely over one inch square, with the difference not being noticeable to anyone without OCD and/or calipers :)

... and people say geometry class was useless. hah.
this would be amazing.... just make it so that when selecting the casting option you're asked about the screen specs or given a "skip"option if you have imported maps