Two (maybe simple?) ideas

A place to suggest additional features for future releases of InfinitasDM.
Nunspa
Minion

Two (maybe simple?) ideas

Post by Nunspa » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:27 am

Ok so I have two ideas which may make the program a little better.. and they both seem rather simple

1) custom background images to fill the screen... for example a wood table background or something, I run my games on a 48" table (used as a battlemap) and some of the maps are not "full table size" it would really kick up the presentation if there was some texture in the back (something we could choose maybe)

2) a simple initiative tracker.. just a window with a table, GM writes in the names of the combatants and can mouse click to highlight who goes next.

Nunspa
Minion

Re: Two (maybe simple?) ideas

Post by Nunspa » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:55 am

I will interpret the silence as a "heck no" :P

AtomSwitch
Site Admin

Post by AtomSwitch » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:24 am

Sorry Nunspa, although I always read suggestion posts, I don't always respond to them since the answer is usually "I'd love to eventually, but can't just yet" :)

In this case, these are a bit more complex than you may expect. I'm not really sure how easy a custom background image would be for the negative space surrounding map images - it would likely have to be tilable (rather than one big image) but I'm not actually sure if I can apply a texture to it since it's technically just empty space. It may require an entirely new rendering plane to be added behind everything else. The reason you can still draw in that empty space is because that happens on a UI-like layer that exists "above" the map/image layers. It's something I will have to look into from more of a research perspective first, before I could add it to "the list." It's a cool idea though.

An initiative tracker, like any rules-specific tool, is something I've been avoiding. Adding any additional UI space gets complicated fast on top of that, especially if it is going to reduce screen real estate. One thing you could do though is drop a POI/NPC/Encounter map link onto the map and create a document called "Initiative." Then just use that as your digital notepad. You could also add name tags to your digital tokens (if you're using them) with numbers for turn order on them.

Dimetrianos
Minion

Post by Dimetrianos » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:08 am

Depending on which system you are using, there are loads of Initiative tracker programs out there. For instance, for my Pathfinder games, we use Combat Manager (combatmanager.com). It covers a wide range of D20 games (3.0, 3.5, 5e, PFRPG). It means Alt-Tabbing, but in all honesty, that is not very difficult to do!

Nunspa
Minion

Post by Nunspa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Well, I'm going to be using this program in my gaming table.. (which survived the hurricane!)

one will be the DM screen and the other the player screen, alt-tabling will be a total pain because I have to look over the GM screen and back at my tablet (I like players knowing when they are next on deck)

I list with places to write in names which I can highlight on my screen and have it show on the other screen is what I had in mind.. not a "tracker" per say..

combatmanager is way more than what I need/am looking for.

AtomSwitch
Site Admin

Post by AtomSwitch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:58 am

You can do something like that using tokens as a work-around.
  1. Place a token on the map for each of your players (you can place them off to the side, or outside the "encounter space" if you want them to stay out of the way)
  2. Add a name to each token, "1" , "2", "3", etc to represent each player's turn in combat
  3. You can use different colored tokens to make it easy to keep track of who is who, or add their player name to the token as well
The tokens will show up on your screen (DM View) and on the player's screen (Player View) so you can both see who is up next. No looking over your screen, or alt-tabbing required.

Another approach I've always liked that is very low tech, is to get a 3x5 or similar sized note card for each of your players. Fold each note card in half, writing your player's names on each side. When combat starts, you hang them up on your DM Screen in order of their turns (you can add cards for your monsters too if you like), making it easy for both players and DM to track the encounter.